CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Mitzi's Taco Salad (gluten free)

I've  been eating this Taco Salad since I was a kid and I love it just as much today as I did then. This was one of my Mom's big "go to" meals especially for Summer. It's one of those recipes that doesn't have any measurements to follow you just add as much or as little as you like of the ingrediants.

Here is what you will need:

A mix of Romaine and iceberg lettuce
Chopped tomatoes
Kidney Beans (drained and rinsed)
Cheddar Cheese (shredded)
Avocado
Ground Beef, Turkey or Chicken
Lawry's Taco Seasoning
Nacho Cheese Dorritos or Taco/cheese flavored tortilla chips of choice
Lite Thousand Island Dressing

(I've also been known to add thawed frozen corn niblets and black olives to this salad...really anything goes!)

I like to brown the meat in the morning with the taco seasoning (follow directions on package). Then I refrigerate the meat all day so it will be cold for the salad that night.

I use a combo of Romaine and iceberg lettuce that I tear into small pieces. Then I add the chopped tomatoes, drained and rinsed kidney beans, cheddar cheese, avocado and cold, cooked meat. Toss all together and then pour on just enough of the thousand island dressing to moisten. Finish with a few handfuls of crushed nacho cheese chips. (I no longer use Dorritos brand because they have MSG in them...I just buy whatever taco or cheese flavored tortilla chips I can find on sale at Whole Foods)

Don't turn your nose up to the Thousand Island Dressing. It is AMAZING on this salad. I've tried making it with Salsa flavored ranch and cilantro dressing but nothing compares to thousand island on this salad. The combination of seasoned meat, chips and dressing are delicious.

ENJOY!

1 comments:

Anonymous

I make taco salad all the time, but I do not use 1000 Island dressing; I will use a salsa instead, so it is more like a taco. Thanks for this version.
Love
Maddi

Post a Comment