CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Recipe of the Week: Chicken and Dumplings (gluten free)

First of all, let me say I am so thrilled that you are all loving my recipes so much. I've had several e-mails and face book messages telling me how much my recipes are enjoyed. Unfortunately 95% of my blog readers are having trouble leaving a comment here on the blog. In a later post I will give directions once again on how to do this.  Due to the great feedback I've received I've decided to step it up a notch and post a new recipe each week.  This week's recipe is Chicken and Dumplings which is a recipe that I have modified and tweaked from the "Chicken Fricasse" recipe in The Joy of Cooking. This is my absolute favorite thing to make on a Sunday afternoon. It is not a quick fix, so be prepared to be in the kitchen for about an hour and 1/2 from the first chop to putting it on the table. Your family will thank you though for your efforts. This is the #1 requested meal by Kate each time she comes home from school and is probably my favorite meal I make as well (other than pizza) Kev and Kyle enjoy it equally as much.


Here's what you'll need:
*1-2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts (*= depending on how many you are serving)
3T. butter
*1/2 c-1 c. chopped onions
2 cups HOT water
1 3/4 c. chicken broth
*2-4 medium carrots
*1-2 celery stalks
1/2 t. ground dried thyme
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream

bisquick/milk (follow the dumpling recipe on side of box) *If you are gluten free buy gluten free bisquick. You'll need about 2 cups of the bisquick and just add 1/4 cup of milk to start and then a little more milk about 2-3 T. at a time until you get a sticky dough.

The first thing I like to do is make the dumpling dough. Follow the recipe on the side of the bisquick box. If you are using gluten free bisquick there is no recipe on the side of the box. Follow my instructions above* I usually double the recipe they provide to yield 8 dumplings. Figure on 2 dumplings per person. I always add a little more milk than the recipe calls for as well. The dough should have a sticky, wet consistancy. Set aside.


If you are serving 3-4 (like my family) you will need to peel and chop 2 carrots, 1 celery stalk and 1/2 of a medium onion which equals about 1/2 cup. Double the vegetables for 6-8 people. I like to cut the vegys into small bite size pieces. Set aside.

Next, wash and  pat dry chicken breasts with paper towel. Cut off any fat. Then cut the chicken breasts in 1/2. I like to do this so I have lots of space in between chicken breasts in my family skillet for dumplings. Sprinkle both sides with salt and pepper. Set aside.

Melt butter over medium heat in a big family skillet that has a well fitting lid. Add chicken breasts to the pan and sear on medium heat each side for 4-5 minutes. You want the breasts to be lightly browned only (the meat will still be raw inside.)  *Please note that if you have a larger crowd to feed than I do, there is plenty of room in your family skillet for another pound of chicken breasts. Each pound of chicken is approx. 4 breasts.*  Remove breasts to a plate and set aside.
Add onions to the remaining butter/chicken drippings and cook over low/med heat for 5 minutes. Sprinkle in flour and stir until you have little flour/onion lumps like above.

Remove the floured onions from heat and stir in the hot water and chicken broth. You will have LOTS of lumps at this point. Using a wire whisk break up lumps and whisk rapidly. If you are having trouble getting the lumps out, take a fork and press them out. Keep it up until ALL lumps are gone and you have a milky sauce with onions floating in it like above. Continue whisking over medium heat until the mixture comes to a boil.  Next add carrots, celery, and salt and pepper to taste. (I use approx 1/2 t. each between sprinking it on the chicken and putting it in the sauce) The broth has plenty of sodium in it to begin with. Reduce heat to low and whisk in the whipping cream. The original recipe calls for 1/2 c. of heavy whipping cream. I use 1/4 cup and it is plenty to make the sauce very creamy and rich. Then, add the breasts back into pan. Keep the heat on low, the sauce should be slightly bubbling and simmering.

Next, take a medium scoop and scoop and release each dumpling into the pan. (if you do not have a scoop, just drop by rounded tablespoons) I like to try and place a ball of dough between the pieces of chicken so everything is evenly cooked through. Cook on low heat and let it lightly simmer for 10 minutes. Then cover your pan with the tightly fitting lid and cook an additional 10 minutes. It is imperitive that your heat be on low, maintaining a nice bubbling simmer.
At the end of 10 minutes, remove the lid and you will have the perfect dumplings. Soft, fluffy and delicious! I take the skillet to the table and place it on hot pads and serve right from the pan. *total cooking time for the chicken is 30 minutes. Ten minutes in the pan to brown and another 20 minutes in the sauce. Your chicken will be moist and fork tender...SO GOOD.

A perfect serving size is two chicken breast halves and two dumplings per person. There is plenty of sauce to ladle over the top too. If you double your chicken and vegies you do not need to double the sauce. There is plenty! This is yummy goodness at it's best. You MUST try this ultimate comfort food!!!

enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment