CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Recipe: Chicken Divan

Recently I had the opportunity to bring meals to two ladies from church. One is a close friend of mine that had surgery and another is a sweet gal who just had her first baby. As a member of the Meals Ministry team, I have the pleasure of serving my fellow church members when they have a need to have meals delivered for a short period of time. Typically I bring a casserole of some kind along with a salad, bread and a desert. One of my all time favorite casseroles to bring is Chicken Divan. I've seen a few variations of this recipe along the way, but this recipe which happens to be my Moms is a "no fail" casserole that I"ve been eating since I was a child and making for my family since I was a newlywed. I've yet to meet anyone who doesn't love this casserole! The yummy combo of chicken, brocolli and cheese makes it a real kid friendly alternative too. Here's what you will need:


Ingrediants
1 pkg frozen broccoli florets
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/4 c mayonaise (I use light)
1/2 tsp. fresh lemon juice 
1 to 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup plain soft bread crumbs  (if you are gfree, buy gfree bread crumbs at a health food store or make your own buy pulsing gfree bread in your food processor )
2 T.  melted butter   

Directions  

Cook broccoli until tender according to the package directions. Arrange in baking dish sprayed with non stick cooking spray.
*use either a 9 x 13 casserole dish OR in my case I was splitting the recipe in 2. One casserole for the new parents from our church and one for my family of 3. Set aside.

Next, poach the chicken breasts  in boiling water for 20 minutes.


Remove from water after 20 minutes and let cool on a plate.

While chicken is cooling, mix together the sauce for the casserole. In a medium bowl combine the soup, mayo and lemon juice. Set aside.


 Once cooled, using your fingers or a fork shred the chicken. Distribute the pieces of shredded chicken evenly over the top of the brococoli. Then spread the creamy sauce over the top of the chicken.

                                              Sprinkle the shredded cheddar cheese over the top.
Lastly, combine the crumb topping. Combine the bread crumbs and melted butter and sprinkle evenly over the top of the casserole. (not pictured)

Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until heated through and bubbling. Enjoy!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment