CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, September 17, 2010

Recipe: Shepard's Pie (gluten free)

I'm probably more excited about this recipe than I've been about anything I've made in a long time. I just bought Weight Watcher's newest recipe magazine, Best One Dish Dinners. All the recipes look great and each serving is 6 points or less. This recipe is from this recipe magazine. I can guarantee you however, it DOES NOT taste like like a lower calorie, diet dish. This casserole is DELICIOUS!! As I was preparing it, I kept thinking, "this looks so boring" and "I bet it won't be good enough for me to put on the blog"..how wrong I was. Kevin and Kyle were loving dinner last week the night I served this. In fact they both had seconds. So as you can imagine I'm pretty happy to have this new recipe that is easy, inexpensive AND low calorie to boot. To top it off, for my devoted recipe followers with small kids, this is extremely kid friendly.


Ingrediants
1 t. olive oil
1 small onion diced (I used 1/2 cup frozen chopped onion)
1 pound LEAN ground beef (buy the leanest you can find) or ground turkey
2 cups frozen mixed vegies (I bought a mix with corn, carrots, green beans, lima beans and peas)
3 T. tomato paste
1/4 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
1 14 oz can lower sodium beef broth (fat free if you can find it)
2 T all-purpose flour (or rice flour, Bob's Red Mill all purpose flour if you are gluten free)
non stick cooking spray
 1 package of dried garlic mashed potatoes (if you can find it use Idahoan roasted garlic..it was so good with this..and they are gfree)

Directions

 Preheat oven to 375

 Heat oil in a large skillet over med-high heat. Add onion;saute 5 min. Add beef,  and cook until beef is browned, stirring to crumble. Drain off liquid/fat. (not pictured, but I sometimes use a potato masher to crumble meat)


 Once drained, add frozen mixed vegies, tomato paste and salt/pepper; cook over medium heat 5 minutes or until vegies are hot, stirring frequently.
 Combine broth and flour in a small bowl or measuring cup, stirring with a whisk. Add broth mixture to beef mixture. Bring to a boil, and cook 3 minutes or until it begins to thicken, stirring constantly.


Spoon beef mixture into an 11x 8 inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. (I don't have that, so I used my Pampered Chef deep dish stone baker which is close to that size.) Set aside.
Following the directions on the package, prepare the mashed potatoes.
Drop potatoes in spoon fulls evenly over meat mixture. Then spread evenly, carefully covering all the meat mixture. I used a dinner spoon for this and it worked well.


Bake at 375 for 20 minutes or until mixture in bubbling up around the edges and slightly browned on top.

                                                                           ENJOY!

1 comments:

Beverly

Hi! Just wanted to let you know we tried this recipe tonight, only I used homemade garlic mashed potatoes because I'm not a fan of instant. :-) Also, just my own little tip, I brown the meat with the onion at the same time--there's enough "juice" that you don't need the extra oil.

Post a Comment