CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, February 20, 2010

3-D Easter Egg ornaments

On Valentine's Day Kevin and I came out of our movie (our theatres are part of the out door mall) and decided to walk around a bit. I noticed that Pottery Barn had their windows decorated in Spring and I asked Kevin if he would mind going in and looking around. He loves Pottery Barn as much as I do, so of course he said yes and lead the way. Once inside we found the most gorgeous spring and Easter decor imaginable. They had several dining room table's set up, all set with fabulous linens, dishes and centerpieces. Of course Kevin and I are oohing and ahhing at the gorgeous things. The one thing that captured my attention more than anything else was the centerpiece on one of the tables that looked very similar to the look I've created in the picture above. I priced out the vase, the flowers, the branches, the table runner....price tag a whopping $200 for the look. What I was most interested in was the 3-D egg oraments that were hanging from the flowers and branches. They were $19 for 6, which is again...ridiculously expensive. So I picked one up, examined the egg and told Kevin "I can make this for free"

Once home I pulled out my large box of paper scraps that have been accumulating for years from being an avid  scrap booker and gathered the rest of the supplies that I thought I would need and went to work. I was very excited when I realized that not only did I have everything I needed to make the 3-D eggs, but that they were easy and fun to make! Below is a tutorial on how to make the 3-D eggs for all of my crafty friends out there.
Here is a close up of one the egg that I will be showing you how to make.

First thing to do is to make a pattern of an egg. You can free hand draw it or find a picture of an egg to trace. You can make it any size you want, mine is approximately 3 inches tall. Cut your pattern out of a light weight chip board. For my Stampin Up! friends, I used the white cardboard insert that you get inside when you order any of the card stock.


Next, pick out a piece of patterned card stock. If you are using scraps, make sure you have enough to trace and cut out 3 eggs. You want to trace the egg on the opposite side of the print. In this case I have a piece of double sided card stock. It is printed on the front and a solid color on the back. I will trace the egg on the solid side as I want the print side to show. The reason for this, is so you can cut around the trace marks and not have to worry about your pencil marks showing.


Trace your egg pattern using a pencil.
Cut out your egg just outside the pencil marks.

Fold the egg in half with the side you want showing on the inside. Be sure to get a clean, sharp crease. (you may use a bone folder if you would like)
Using your favorite adhesive, (I recommend a firm holding tape runner) run adhesive around the edges of one half of your folded egg. Be sure to get as close to the edges as possible.
Take two halves and press them together at the seams until they are glued together.
above is a view of the glued halves from the back
...and from the front.
Next, trim any excess paper that may be overlapping (I found that even though my eggs were cut exactly the same size, because the folds are all slightly off...a little trimming is necessary)

Measure out 7 inches of ribbon.

Take the third cut out egg and after you have folded it in half, making a crease; and lay it pattern size down. Take the cut ribbon, fold in half and tape the ends down centering it over the fold.
Next, take a bead or other item to tie to a ribbon. I used brads from Stampin Up! that are silver like flowers. Instead of putting a brad through the flower center, I used ribbon for my project.
Take the end of the ribbon spool, cut the end to a diagonal point and feed through the center of your bead. Tie the end into a knot and cut the ribbon on an angle approximately 1/4 inch below the knot you tied. Then, cut the ribbon from the spool approximately 1 inch above the bead.
Take another piece of scotch tape and tape the end of the ribbon to the bottom edge of the egg centered on the fold.
Next take more of the adhesive runner and run the adhesive all the way around the egg's edge and along the inside fold on either side.
Taking the egg with ribbon taped to top and bottom that you should adheared adhesive too, hold it up to the other two eggs that you have already adheared together and match up the seams and press together, forming your 3-D egg. Once again, trim any exess paper after the entire egg is adheared together.
The final step is to put glitter on the edges of all the egg edges. Once again, I use Stampin Up! products for this. I use the two way glue, and stampin glitter.
Take the glue, and run a thin strip of it around the edges of the egg. For best results, do one edge at a time or the glue will dry before you can get the glitter on it.
Sprinkle the glitter over the wet glue and shake off the excess into a tray.
That's it! Your egg is done!

Regarding the rest of the centerpiece. I purchased the vase, flowers and branches at Michaels and the eggs  that are filled inside the vase and the table runner at Home Goods. Total cost for everything was $45. I little bit better than Pottery Barn's cost of $200 I 'd say!

0 comments:

Post a Comment