CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Pre-Op Blessing

Yesterday Kevin had his first surgery. For the past 10 years he has had a small lipoma the size of a ping pong ball at the very top of his inside leg. A lipoma is a "fat deposit" and can happen to the thinnest of people. It has been looked at on a yearly basis and we've been told that as long as it doesn't hurt, or bother him that there was no reason to remove it. He's had a yearly ultra sound on it to be sure that it is benign (it is) and other than that we decided that since no one saw it except Kevin and I and because it was not bothering him...we would let it be.

In the last year however, it has doubled in size and became as large as a small to medium lemon. It has been bothering Kevin quite a bit and some nights it has throbbed with pain. So he went to see a surgeon and the decision was made to remove it. His surgeon, Dr. Meyers; told us that the surgery would be done on an outpatient basis and that if he had it done on a Friday he could most likely go back to work Monday.

So yesterday was the big day. Kevin and I were both feeling a little nervous as this was his first surgery. Although it was considered a minor surgery, anytime you are put under general anesthisia there is reason for concern. Right before the surgery, I was sitting next to Kevin in the pre-op room and he had been completely prepared for surgery. His IV was in, his blue surgical bonnet was on and we were just sitting there holding hands and waiting. Dr. Meyer came in and spoke to us briefly about the surgery, the recovery etc and then said,
"I want to let you know that I am a Christian and I like to pray with my patients before I operate. Would that be O.K. with you?"
At that moment, I nearly burst into tears. What a wonderful blessing to know that Kevin's surgeon was looking to the Lord to guide his hand in surgery. Of course we readily agreed to pray. The three of us joined hands and Dr. Meyer lifted up the most beautiful prayer. Instantly a feeling of peace and calm came over both Kevin and I.

After the prayer, Dr. Meyer gave me a big smile and a reassuring hand on the shoulder telling me the surgery would take 30-45 minutes and that I should wait in the hospital waiting room. He told me he would personally come out and talk to me right after the surgery. Within moments after that, Kevin was wheeled off to surgery.

As I sat in the waiting room for Kevin, I thanked God for providing us with a godly man to operate on Kevin. Thirty minutes later, Dr. Meyer came out as promised to greet me and let me know that the surgery was a success and he was able to remove all of the piloma with ease; and that he was 99% sure it was benign but that he would send it off to pathology to be on the safe side.

Once again, Kevin and I are amazed at the power of prayer in our lives. Several people from our church, family and  friends had been praying for Kevin's surgery for several days prior. Kevin's surgery ended up being a very positive experience and he is recovering well now.

0 comments:

Post a Comment