CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Recipe of the Week: Parmesan Meat Balls (gluten free)

Nothing like waiting until the eleventh hour to post the recipe of the week. It is 7:45 p.m. on Sunday night! However, as the devoted blogger that I am...I am posting yet another recipe for you! This week I'm posting a recipe near and dear to my heart. It is my Mom's recipe for Parmesan Meat Balls. When I was growing up for as long back as I can remember this was by far my FAVORITE dinner that Mom would make. In fact I would request it all the time. This is one of Kyle's very favorite meals as well. The only person in my house that does not like it, is Kate...as she hates mushrooms. I've made it before without mushrooms and it was good that way too...but as a big mushroom lover, I like it far better with the mushrooms. There is something about the combination of the parmesan cheese, the white wine and the mushrooms that make for one fabulous dish. My Mom always served the meatballs over white rice and this is the way I have always made it too. I suppose you could serve it over egg noodles as well though.

Here is what you will need:

1 lb. lean ground beef (I've made this with ground turkey and did not like the results)
1/2 cup plain bread crumbs (health food stores carry gfree crumbs or make your own with gfree bread)
1/2 cup. grated parmesan cheese
1 T. dried chopped onions (or dried onion flakes)
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/2 c. milk
2 T. EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup white wine (I use a dry white wine like a chardonnay. Do not use cooking wine)
1 cup beef broth
1 4 oz can sliced mushrooms
salt and pepper to taste

Combine the bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, egg, milk, dried onion and salt and pepper with the ground beef. (I use my hands to combine just like meat loaf mix). Be sure all the ingrediants are incorporated well.
Next take a small to medium scoop and scoop out a ball of the meat and roll around in your hands until you form a ball. (I use my Pampered Chef medium scoop)
Place the balls onto wax paper as you complete them.
Distributing evenly, pour 2-3 T. of EVOO into a large pan with a tight fitting lid. Brown the balls on all sides.
Once browned, remove to a plate and set aside.
Next, sprinkle the flour into the pan drippings and wisk until the drippings are incorporated into the flour.
Then add the broth and wine and cook and whisk on medium heat until all the flour lumps are out. You may have to use a fork to press out all the lumps. Then, add the canned mushrooms WITH liquid. Stir until well incorporated. You should have a thick sauce.
Next, add the meatballs back to the pan, cover tightly and cook/simmer on LOW for 30 minutes. I like to take the lid off and stir the sauce and meatballs every 5-7 minutes while cooking.
While your meatballs are cooking, prepare white rice. I like to serve the meatballs on top of a bed of rice and usually serve with a green salad or green vegetable.
                                                                       ENJOY!!!!

2 comments:

Janet

Sounds great, I will try this. What did you not like about using Turkey?

Debi

The turkey was fine...just not as good as ground beef. I don't like ground turkey in spagehtti sauce either...just personal preference. I use ground turkey for tacos and other casseroles though all the time. When I do use ground beef, I use the leanest I can find.

Post a Comment