CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Recipe of the Week: Salmon Cakes (gluten free)

I've never been a big fan of fish...but everything I read is telling me how incredibly good it is for you. It cuts your chances of Alzeheimers disease among other good things it does for your body. SO...I've been trying to find ways to get more of it in our diets. These Salmon Cakes are INSANELY good and really fun to make. Kev and I were talking about it as we were eating them tonight and we both agreed this is one of our favorite meals right now. They don't taste "fishy" in the least and have this yummy crunchy coating with a soft flavorful center. These Salmon Cakes melt in your mouth..

I got the recipe while watching Food Network back in October. The newest Food Network Star, Melissa d'Arabian was making them on her show and I knew I had to try them. Well, I've been making them ever since. My goal is to start preparing fish once a week. My next fish cooking venture will be a Parmesan crusted Tilapia. Stay tuned for that one!

Here is what you will need to make these yummy Salmon Cakes:

Ingrediants:
2 strips bacon, cooked until crispy, crumbled, bacon fat reserved
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 egg
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 t. sugar
1/2 lemon, zested
1 (14 oz) can wild or pink salmon OR vac packed salmon packets to equal 14 oz.
1 baked or boiled russet potato, peeled, and mashed or fluffed with a fork
1/2 cup plain bread crumbs (or use gfree bread crumbs: buy at health food store...or make your own with gfree bread pulsed in your food processor)
1 T grated Parmesan Cheese
1/2 c. vegy oil

Directions:
After you cook your potato by baking it, microwaving it or boiling it,  peel it and mash or fluff it with a fork. (I poked my potato with holes and cooked it in the microwave until done. I then let it cool, peeled it and mashed it with a potato masher) Set aside.


Fry up your bacon, reserving the fat. Crumble the bacon into a medium to large bowl. Set aside. Then add the onions to the reserved bacon fat still in the skillet and cook over medium heat until translucent. Add the cooked onions to the crumbled bacon.

Next, add the egg, mayonnaise, mustard, sugar and lemon zest to the bacon and onions.
Stir well until all the ingrediants are well incorporated.
Next add the potato and the salmon. (I LOVE the vac packed so much better than canned. It's not floating in oil or water like canned and there are no bones to pick out. It is more expensive, but in my book it is so worth it. The vac pacs are 2.6 oz so you will need 3-4 packs if you are cutting the recipe in half (like me) or 6-7 packs if you are making the full recipe. You will yield 12 patties if you halve the recipe and 24 if you make the recipe as I am posting.)

Gently stir to incorporate.

In a pie plate, mix together the bread crumbs and the parm. You are now ready to form your cakes. The salmon mixture in WET. You will need to find your own technique and rythym to preparing the cakes. I like to use a medium stainless steel scoop and scoop up a small ball of the salmon mix.

Then, using your hands; form a small patty. It will be wet/sticky and very delicate to deal with. Then, while your patty is still in the palm of your hand, hold over the bread crumb mixture and using your other hand, sprinkle crumbs over the cake, shaking off the excesss. Carefully, turn the cake over into your other hand, and sprinkle crumbs on the other side. (I've wondered about how to make the mix less wet/sticky...you could add more salmon to bulk it up...however once the patties are refrigerated they become very firm and easier to handle while frying)


Once you have coated both sides with the crumbs, put them on a plate with wax paper on it. When you have made all the patties, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate. (I like to make the patties in the morning and let them sit in the fridge all day) I've also, gone right to the fry stage as well..it is however you want to do it.
When you are ready to fry them, pour oil into a skillet and let it heat up a minute or two. (the recipe calls for 1/2 cup oil...I use about 1/2 that amount... I just cover the bottom of the pan evenly with the oil)
Fry the cakes on 4 minutes each side or until golden brown. If you are making the full recipe, then you will have to fry them in batches. Add more oil to the pan in between batches.
You can dip these yummy cakes with your choice of Tartar Sauce. I also serve with a green salad and baked potato for a delicious meal that is also VERY kid friendly. Enjoy!!!! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment