CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Recipe: Baked Asparagus (gluten free)

Whenever we barbecue steaks, my husband Kevin asks me to make this asparagus dish to go with it. I've also made it as a side dish for chicken, pork chops and fish. The combination of the asparagus, tomatoes and Parmesan cheese is fabulous. This was my Mom's recipe and I've been making it for years now. My kids have been eating it and enjoying it for years as well. It may not look kid friendly,  but trust me...kids love this dish. I hope you will enjoy making and eating this wonderful side dish.

Here is what you will need:

Ingredients

2 pounds asparagus
2 cloves garlic, minced (I use a garlic press)
salt and pepper
1 t. dried basil
2-3 tomatoes, sliced (I like using hot house or roma)
grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
seasoned bread crumbs (if you are gfree, buy gfree bread crumbs at a health food store or make your own with gfree bread: 2-3 slices of bread in your food processor: pulsed until crumbs form)
2 ounces water

Directions:

Wash and trim asparagus. Here's a tip on knowing exactly where to trim the asparagus. Hold on each end
and bend the asparagus.
 
Wherever it naturally snaps is where you want to trim the rest.
Lay the piece of asparagus that you snapped to use as a guide as to where to cut the rest.
Discard the ends, they will be bitter.
Since it was only the my small family of three I did not prepare 2 pounds of asparagus, I only lined up enough in a 9x13 pan that I knew we would eat with our steak that night.
Next, mince or press the garlic. Using a spatula or knife, spread the garlic evenly over the asparagus.
Next lightly shake salt and pepper on the asparagus.
then sprinkle basil on...
Slice the tomatoes very thinly. (I'm loving my new ceramic knives...more on that in another post)
lay the tomatoes on top of  the asparagus, covering all

next sprinkle approx. 1/2 cup of grated Parmesan cheese over the top of the tomatoes
Lastly, sprinkle liberally with the seasoned bread crumbs. (approx 1/2-3/4 cup) I just eye ball it.
One last VERY IMPORTANT step is to measure out 2 ounces of water
...and pour evenly over the asparagus. The water creates the steam that will bake the asparagus.
Before baking, cover tightly with aluminum foil
and carefully put into a 350 degree oven.
Bake for 20-30 minutes (these small thin asparagus tips only took 20 minutes, you can test the tenderness with a fork) Remove foil and bake an additional 10-15 minutes until lightly browned.
Remove from oven and serve immediately. THIS IS A MUST TRY DISH.
 Definitely delish.

3 comments:

Unknown

This does look delishes!Where do you get your recipes?
I have missed seeing you at church! Are you still attending Reliance?
I also have been looking for you on FB, even though I am not on very often.
Glad to read that the Lord has Kyle's schooling worked out!

Anonymous

Great recipe, made it last night and we loved it!!

Thank you for sharing!
Carrie

Beverly

Yum, we'll have to try this...but we'd have to do without the bread crumbs!

Post a Comment